JEDDAH: The Saudi ambassador to Yemen has accused some UN
organizations of silence regarding crimes and violations by Houthi
militias, including stealing and hindering the distribution of
humanitarian aid to the Yemeni people.
Many officials in the Arab coalition supporting Yemen’s
internationally recognized government had previously informed
senior UN officials about Houthi violations regarding aid, Mohammed
bin Saeed Al-Jaber told the Associated Press (AP). Houthi militias
have for years been looting aid and hindering its distribution, he
Saudi Arabia, the UAE and Kuwait have contributed $1.25 billion to
the UN’s humanitarian response plan in Yemen.
“We’ve told UN Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs
Mark Lowcock and the humanitarian coordinator of the UN in Yemen,
Lise Grande, that only 40 percent of those funds have been spent in
areas under the control of the Houthi militias because of their
irresponsible practices,” Al-Jaber said.
Silence over Houthi crimes will only encourage them, he added,
urging UN organizations to speak out.
Also on Saturday, Houthi fighters seized 72 World Food Programme
(WFP) relief tracks headed to the province of Ibb, minister of
local administration and chairman of the Higher Committee for
Relief in Yemen said.
Houthis seize dozens of relief trucks: Yemen minister UN’s World
Food Programme threatens Houthis with cut to aid
Source: FS – All-Travel destinations-News
UN accused of silence over Houthi aid theft